Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Author Interview: R. L. Griffin

Dropping in today is R.L. Griffin, author of Tension (which has a cover I freaking love!), for an interview and to help celebrate the book's release!


Tension goes to some pretty dark places.What was the most interesting, and the hardest, part about this for you? 

Well, I really thought writing this book that Stella would be able to go through the plans she had and this would be the conclusion of Stella's story. When I was writing it, she just couldn't do what I wanted her to do. It was hard because I wanted one thing, but the character was telling me something else. I know that sounds insane.

Let's talk about your cover, which I love. It's creepy in the best way. What led to that particular design and concept?

Well if you read By A Thread you know why Stella got the tattoo. She was mourning and wanted to get something to symbolize the mourning, but also give everyone a clear "stay away from me" feel. I think it accomplished both. When I asked Georgina to make an attempt at this cover, I really didn't think she would be able to do it, but she knocked my socks off. I love it.

Which character surprised you the most while you were writing Tension?

Stella. Again, I thought I knew where I was going with her character and she didn't agree with my plans. Jesse was also very interesting, because I think when you see he's back in the picture you worry about his motives.

What are some of your favorite authors?

Tara Sivec, Tarryn Fisher, John Green, Colleen Hoover and Gillian Flynn.

What's the hardest part about continuing a character's story across more than one book? 

You have to remember all the intricacies in every book. I'm writing Book 3 now and I have to leave blanks because there are some specifics I've forgotten already. My memory is horrid.

What kind of cookie would you describe yourself as?

A Samoa. Its a cookie with coconut and chocolate. Its not a great looking cookie and its very unexpected how good it is. Also, I've eaten so many of them I feel like maybe I've turned into one.


 This one is out now, so be sure to pick it up!

About the book: The Stella who emerges from the rubble of the bombing in Montana is a woman full of conflict. She knows she should be grateful that she lived when others didn't, but after waking in the hospital as a celebrity, complete with a new moniker, she's bitter and distrustful, questioning everything in her life. She's unsure of her friends, her new boyfriend, and her job. In addition, a face from the past reappears and threatens to take the one good thing in her life.

Stella attempts to deal with the new scrutiny of her life with her usual sense of humor, but she's filled with a new emotion that she tries desperately to hide: HATE. Her recovery is hastened by her determination to find the man who turned her into a walking scar. She's going to kill him; she needs to kill him.

Stella isn't alone. She has her close friends and her dog, Cooper. Will their support be enough to help Stella accomplish her plan, or will this endeavor be her undoing?

No comments:

Post a Comment