Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 Most Wanted Titles

Happy new year to everyone! Now that 2010 is over, as shocking as I still find that to be, I think it's safe to say we are all crazy excited to be *that* much closer to the awesome lineup of books coming out this year. I still plan to read the 2010s I've missed, but definitely will have a focus with the 2011s. Congrats to The Elevensies and all the other debut authors, who went through the steps and the rejection and bled across their pages in revisions to finally get there. This is your year to see it happen which is amazing, and also why one of my 2011 goals is to read 75 debuts. To any other, though, with a book coming out, congrats to you too and this post is dedicated to the books I cannot wait to read this year.

When making this series of lists, I decided not to include books I have an ARC of, since technically I don't have to wait to read it. So for books that I truly am dying to read, but have to wait for, I bring you my 2011 Most Wanted:


Contemporary: A huge chunk of my 2011 wants list is contemporary titles, but here are the top five for me.


Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz: I loved Break by Hannah, and really cannot wait for more of her voice, grit, and writing. The premise of this one sounds fantastic, and add in the male perspective and this is basically the top book for 2011 right now that I cannot wait to get my hands on.

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma: Family dynamics, hidden secrets, and a test of sisterhood. This is one looks intense and emotional and all the things I really love in contemporary books, and has been on my list since I first read the description months ago. Then the cover was released, which is gorgeous but mysterious, and I want it.

Want to Go Private? by Sarah Darer Littman: Again, one that looks like it has plenty of emotional intensity mixed with issues that is what I crave the most in contemps. I love, though, that this one clearly will have a great message while still most likely focusing on the story itself and being 'just a book'.

Saving June by Hannah Harrington: No cover yet on this one, but just based on premise, I think it is going to be amazing. Suicide and those left behind is something that while maybe does come up in books a lot, there are so many ways to present it that I tend to gravitate right towards every one. This is one that will have a family note to it as well, and add in the hinted romance and I think it will be an all around fantastic read.

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder: The fact that I love Lisa's writing aside, there is a very grabbing element to the premise of this one. It seems like a mix of coming of age and finding yourself, with facing issues head on as well.


Fantasy/Paranormal: Despite my intense love of contemporary, 2011 has some fantastic looking fantasy/paranormal titles coming out.



Bloodlines by Richelle Mead: This one is pretty much a no brainer. Vampire Academy is my favorite series, ever, and Adrian is my favorite YA character ever. Want want want want want.

Witch Eyes by Scott Tracey: Cover lust if there ever was a case of cover lust, but then the premise of this one is just fantastic. Not to mention, I've heard very good things from reputable sources about it and seen samples of Scott's writing and basically, I cannot wait to get my hands on this one.

Hereafter by Tara Hudson: Ghosts, bonds and conflicting spirits. Yes. Please. The premise of this one alone gives hint to so many different elements and it just looks like an amazing, well put together read.

Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton: Title alone grabbed me for this one, which holds plenty of its own mystery and intrigue. I like the spell component for this one, and am really curious to find out about the dynamic between the boy and girl.

Die for Me by Amy Plum: The mythology of this one looks so original and fantastic. Add in the Parisian setting and the likely tormented love aspect, and I want it.


Series: In my debate about what books I can't wait for, I decided it wasn't quite fair to include series in there. If I love the series, of course I can't wait for the next one. So putting it into it's own category, here are the next installments I am not above begging for.



Supernaturally by Kiersten White: No cover yet, but Paranormalcy was one of my favorite books of 2010. Not to mention, a character is going to be named after me in this book and I want to meet, well, me.

Vanish by Sophie Jordan
: Frankly, I just want more Sexy Man Musk Hunter Boy. But also considering the cliff hanger Sophie left us with in Firelight, and this is one that I am dying for.

Defiance by Lili St. Crow: This is one of my favorite series. Dru is spunky, sarcastic, and badass, but still has her moments of weakness. Graves is just adorable and awesome, and Christophe smells like a bakery. Also, the story itself is awesome. If you haven't gotten in on this one, do it.

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater: Probably self explanatory after the way Linger ended. Plus, Cole is hot and I'd like some more of him. Also, Maggie's writing is just amazing.

Queen of the Dead by Stacey Kade: Will is a tormented ball of adorable, and Alona is a likable jerk. Ghost and the Goth was the perfect blend of angst and fun, and I can't wait to see where Stacey is taking things next.


Books Read but They Are Awesome: I've been lucky enough to be able to read some 2011 books already and honestly, every one of these would have been on the lists above if I hadn't. I couldn't wait to start them, and launched into every single one of these the day I got it. If you haven't added them your lists, seriously, do it. They. Are. Amazing.




Where She Went by Gayle Foreman: If I Stay is one of my favorite books ever, and I could not wait for something from Adam's POV. This one delivered as big of an emotional and overall impact as If I Stay, and had the same hold your breath, wait for it kind of ending. Gutting and twisting, with a main character who is so tormented and broken, it is a complete must read.

A Need so Beautiful by Suzanne Young: I love Suzanne's writing, first and foremost. It is so smooth, so filled with distinct voice, and gives just the right amount of description but stays focused on the story and characters. And this story is amazing. It isn't really an angel book, despite what the description might make you think. It does have a goodness type component, but the Forgotten are something entirely new. Charlotte was a character I completely empathized with, and Harlin is just downright hot and sexy, and broke my heart a time or two. Add this book to your list, because it is stellar.

A Touch Mortal by Leah Clifford: This one is basically my perfect paranormal book. It had a strong contemporary element for me, mixed with the well built world of the Siders and the paranormal aspect. I devoured this book in two sittings, and am completely in love with Leah's writing and characters. It's dark and hits on some deep issues, but overall, it is just fantastic.

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton: This one I read back in July, at a time when I was finding myself more and more unfulfilled with this genre. Then I got this book, and Courtney has made me love fantasy again. Her worldbuilding is so fantastic, and her fight scenes are easy to see without being bogged down in description. Ellie is a badass, sprightly character, and her best friend is hilarious. Oh, and there's this seriously hot guy named Will in it, with a six foot sword. But he's mine. You can't have him.

Divergent by Veronica Roth: I love dystopian, and this book is a prime example of why. It's written in a simple way, not because I think Veronica couldn't do better or more flowery, but because there was no need. It's smooth to read, perfectly described at all the right moments, while giving the focus on the world and characters. Her worldbuilding so astounding, and the overall story is just... phenomenal. This one blew my mind in so many ways all I can say is pick it up when it comes out.

Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard: This one is from the perspective of a 14 year old, but it isn't childish or juvenile at all. It is intense and so deep and there is such passion in this book. Kirsten's writing is completely astounding, the pace so well done, and the characters are amazing. Mandarin is multifaceted and has so much depth she is just as strong as Grace herself. With some seriously deep truths that come out in the best of ways, and a very long lasting impression, whether you usually read contemporary or not, you need to get this book.

4 comments:

  1. oh, shit, I think I NEED every book on that list. Sounds like 2011 is going to be a good year for books, if not for my budget! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list. I added like half of these books. 2011 looks like it's going to be a great year for books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at this list, I think I may be stalking your blog for awhile and just read the titles you tell me too. I'm hoping to do a lot of contemporary this year and there are some really interesting/exciting choices on this list.

    Megan @Read It, See It

    ReplyDelete
  4. your paranormal list is exactly the same as mine! bloodlines here i come!

    and i also cant wait for where she went! you are so lucky you got to read it early.

    i was a little afraid that where she went would ruin if i stay for me but now im just getting more and more excited for it!

    ReplyDelete