Thursday, October 14, 2010

Book Recommendations

I have to admit, after having done several recommendation posts by this point, and recommending to people on Twitter regularly, I can never remember what I have and have not talked about. But since I think you can never really push a book you love too much, if some of these are doubles, maybe it will twist your arm to go get it, or if it's already in your stack, you'll push it up. But these are some of my all time favorite YA books- the ones I give my friends to read. The ones I will reread, even when there's a million other books that interest me, because they are just that good.

Hate List by Jennifer Brown: This one is gritty and gutting, but it is such a raw portrayal of not only bullying, but what it's like to not actually be the one who snapped but hold the blame anyhow. There is intense emotion throughout this book, and some incredibly rough scenes, but it speaks such an astounding message.

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles: Hot Latino gangbanger. Rich girl who acts bratty but is quick on the uptake and intelligent. A bet based in sex and nothing else. Yep, this book has a simple premise but plenty of depth and brilliance. Not to mention, this is one of the hottest books I've read yet. Not geared toward the younger crowd, this one definitely kicks up the heat and shows things as it is. If you want a good romance with drama mixed in, go straight for this one.

Such A Pretty Girl by Laura Weiss: This one is emotional, heartrending, and holds a certain wtf element. But it is powerful and so worth the emotional drainage that comes with it. Handling the rough topic of child sexual abuse gracefully, and pulling in some other great aspects, this one is one of the single most memorable books I've ever read.

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers: This one takes the bully thread, but does it in a different way. It's girls turning against their own. It's raw and doesn't hold anything back. Some of the things that happen in this book are disgusting, but the reason they are there is clear. Written with a striking grace as well, if you haven't picked this book up yet, go get it. Now.

Freefall by Mindi Scott: It's a boy POV, which sets it up there in my sights already. Add in the fact that that boy is a bit of a broken mess, has a logic so simple its humorous while still being smart despite some of his actions, and is now falling unexpectedly in love, and it's a mixture for something really fantastic. Seemingly raw, there is actually a lot of humor in this book. It's Seth, trying to figure life out, fumbling all along the way.

Those are the ones I've got for you guys today. I know most hold darker elements, but those are the books I gravitate towards. If you haven't picked these books up yet, go do it.

7 comments:

  1. I LOVED Some Girls Are, and Such a Pretty Girl is on my bookshelf waiting for me. I really want to buy Freefall next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I love getting book recommendations because I tend to be incredibly indecisive on what I should read first from my TBR pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to check some of these out. If I recall correctly, Freefall got really good reviews :)

    Thanks!
    ♥Isalys
    PS: Help us Create A Halloween Story and while you're there, you can sign up to win our Halloween Prize Pack {includes a copy of "Eat Prey Love" by K. Sparks}.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great honest reviews (as always) Freefall sounds really interesting.
    Thank you.
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing; sounds a great list of books.

    http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out of all of these, I've only heard of Perfect Chemistry. There are just so many books out there to pick from. I have been wanting to read Perfect Chemistry and I think I want to add Freefall to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. (my blogger is acting funny so sorry if you get two comment! :s)
    Great picks!! i've read all but Freefall, and if it's with such good company i've gotta pick it up! nice recs :)

    ReplyDelete