Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Author Interview: Amber Riley

Dropping in today is Amber Riley, author of Flash of the Firefly, the first book in the Kindred Blood series. This first book centers around the 600 year old vampire Kadan, and his struggle between his humanity and his darker side.


What was the hardest aspect in creating Kaden, given the years of history and experience he has?

The hardest part was finding an appropriate reaction to certain situations. Most things stopped fazing Kaden a long time ago, but I wanted him to be relatable and somewhat human. Being undead didn’t change his true character – it just made him forget what it was for awhile. His nature was a different story. It was difficult to surprise him.

What is one place Kaden has been or event he's experienced that you wish you could have experienced?

This is a tough one. I would have loved to see the court of King Henry VIII. The gowns were amazing and there was enough intrigue to last a lifetime. I would have to watch my head (I kind of like it attached to my body), but I would have chanced it for an opportunity to meet all six of his wives.

What would be your biggest struggle if you found yourself in Kaden's position, fighting against your own personal demons and darkness?

The personal demons and the darkness ultimately want the same thing. Fighting both things at once would be tough. My biggest struggle would be not letting anyone down. In Kaden’s situation, it would have been hard for me to win without doing something that would jeopardize people’s trust in me.

If you could pair Kaden with any character from any book, who would you match him with?

I think it would be interesting to see him paired up with Pam from the Sookie Stackhouse novels. :::snicker::: I can only imagine the fights they would get into.

What is the most private thing you're willing to share here?

I hate bugs. I hate them with a passion. Ladybugs and butterflies are cool but everything else freaks me out. I think it has something to do with all their little legs. Or, maybe it’s the way they crawl. Ick. Give me the reptiles or rodents any day! Of course, I prefer my cats.

If you could commit any crime and get away with it, what would it be?

I would find a way to rig the lottery. No one would get hurt and I would be rolling in the dough. It’s win-win, I’d say.

What kind of cookie would you describe yourself as?

I would be an Oatmeal cookie with a few raisins tossed in. I’m a traditional kind of girl. I don’t need a lot of extras to make me sweet and delicious, but there are a few surprises lurking under the surface once you get to know me.

Thank you, Amber, and if its any consolation, I have a basically disabling fear of spiders. Now make sure you guys all check out Amber's book!

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to hating bugs-I'm okay with ladybugs but I can never look at butterflies the same after that one episode of Spongebob Squarepants...they zoomed in on a butterfly's face. *SHUDDER*

    I didn't know about Amber's book but I'll defintely check it out-awesome interview :)

    ReplyDelete